People in your community and all over the world partner with Habitat for Humanity to build or improve a place they can call home. Habitat homeowners help build their own homes alongside volunteers and pay an affordable mortgage. With our help, Habitat homeowners achieve the strength, stability and independence they need to build a better life for themselves and their families.
To be eligible to apply for homeownership with Habitat-NCG:
- You must be a US citizen or a permanent legal resident
- You must have lived OR worked in Cherokee County, Forsyth County, North Fulton area, or Dawson County for at least one year
- You have a steady, verifiable source of income for the last 24 months at the income level required on the chart below based on your family size.
- Your household income before taxes must be within the following limits:
|Number of People Living in the Home||Income Before Taxes Not Less Than||Income Before Taxes Not More Than|
Minimum & maximum income limits are established by HUD Home Program. Visit https://files.hudexchange.info/reports/published/HOME_IncomeLmts_State_GA_2020.pdf#page=1
Homeowners are selected based on three criteria:
Need for Housing
- Your present housing is not adequate (unsafe, not maintained, overcrowded, and/or unaffordable.)
- You are unable to obtain affordable housing through other conventional means.
Willingness to Partner
- You agree to complete 200 hours of sweat equity. Sweat equity hours are earned by helping to build your and other families’ homes alongside volunteers.
- You agree to complete six homeowner education classes.
Ability to Pay
- You have a steady, verifiable source of income.
- You have good credit (based on your credit report, NOT your credit score).
The first step in our process is to review the requirements of our program listed above. Review all of the general requirements INCLUDING the income required for the last 24 months (based on the size of your family). Please note that good credit and repayment history is a very important requirement too.
One recent change to our program requirements: We will only accept candidates who have lived or worked in our service area for at least one year. The counties in our service area are Cherokee, Dawson, Forsyth, and North Fulton.
Once you have reviewed all of the requirements above, if you believe you might qualify, you must participate in a preliminary phone interview. To schedule the preliminary phone call, you may send an email with your name and daytime phone number to email@example.com Please allow up to 48 hours for a response to your phone call or email.
During this phone interview, we will ask a series of questions to review your basic eligibility for our program. If we determine you meet the basic requirements, we will schedule an informational meeting with a member of our Family Services staff in our office for a date in the near future. The informational meeting will give you a complete explanation of our program and provide you with answers to your questions. At the conclusion of the informational meeting, we will provide you with an application to complete and return with all of the documents we require.
If you do not meet our requirements, you can review the list of other local agencies who might be able to assist you by clicking here.